Maria Sharapova: Plausible Deniability

Yesterday,  I was scrolling through news articles and came across one regarding Maria Sharapova failing a drug test. As I often do, I decided to check out the comments regarding the greatest scandal in all of sports history, because I always find it intriguing to see how many ways people can utilize plausible deniability.  It really is an amazing phenomena to me that so many people can deny all sense of logic in their efforts to justify the wrong doing of people they have put on these pedestals as their symbols of greatness.
Not to be remiss in providing a basis for my opinion,  I will point out, what I view, as what should be obvious, logical, common sense facts.
Fact one: Sharapova states her family physician as been prescribing Meldonium for ten years because her family has a predisposition for diabetes. What kind of Martin Shkreli logic is that? You don't treat ppatients for illnesses they don't have because their family has a predisposition for that illness. How many doctors do you see suggesting chemotherapy for patients with relatives who have cancer?
Fact two: Meldonium is not approved by the FDA in the US and most of Europe. She has been a US resident since 1994, and to my knowledge, writing prescriptions for non approved FDA drugs can be considered grounds for malpractice. Also, the only two ways patients in the US can be treated with such drugs us if they are participating in a clinical trial, or they have a serious enough condition and their is no alternative treatment. Since Sharapova has been competively competing, I would think it safe to assume, she does not suffer such. With that being said, although I am not familiar with Sharapova's medical history, I am quite certain there were other, FDA approved drugs, that could have been prescribed for her.
Fact three: Well, this one may be considered more of an opinion,  but I am listing it anyway. Sharapova says she has been on this drug for ten years, but only knew it by the name Mildronate. I would challenge anyone to show me a person who has taken a prescription drug for ten years who doesn't know all the names used for said drugs. Most people with chronic illnesses, or even temporary ones, will find out everything they can about any long term medications prescribed to them. We will find out the generic name, brand name, possible side effects, and even alternative medications in case of side effects. But that is just my opinion of what I believe most responsible drug patients do.
Fact four: The makers of Meldonium have issued a statement that the normal course of treatment for this drug is only four to six weeks, not ten years.
The truth is, that if someone looks hard enough, they can find a way to justify someone's poor choices. No matter how you choose to look at a situation,  the fact still remains, Maria Sharapova made poor choices, as well as those involved in enabling thise choices. She received an updated list of banned drugs. She did not read it. She didn't have to skim every name on the list. She should have just searched for any drugs she was taking that could be controversial. She had to know it was not an approved drug and that it improves performance. Some fans will support her choice no matter what, however.
I have read comments that she should be treated more leniently because she is a role model. She is a role model who took a performance enhancing drug. What kind if example would we be setting for our children by showing that because you are top playing, renowned athlete, you don't have to deal with the repurcussions of your actions?
I have even  read comments that outrightly state she is being persecuted because of racism. Sharapova was ranked by Forbes as the highest paid female athlete for eleven straight years, mostly in endorsements, despite being ranked number seven by The World Tennis Association. She has been, and is still considered by many, the golden girl of tennis. I am not sure how someone who has been placed in such high esteem in the tennis world, is suddenly the victim of such oppression because she, herself, because if actions she took, failed a drug test. I guess such is the way of deflection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narcolepsy: Idiocy vs Actuality

I Will Not Apologize

A More Humanistic View: Jada Pinkett ith