Birth of a Nation and a Conflict of Conscience

I am black. I am a woman. I believe in supporting my community, when possible.  I believe in supporting our budinesses, our movies, etc. With that being said, I think it is unfair to call some sheep, or unaware because they may not be as emphatic about supporting Birth of a Nation. Yes, Nate Parker was acquitted. No, I don't know what actually happened. I do know that there are still questions, and that sn acquittal does not always mean innocece, just as a conviction does not always mean guilt. We leave in a culture where rape can be deemed more acceptable than smoking weed. There are far too many women who have suffered at the hands of sexual abusers. There are far too many black women who have been victims of sexual abuse many times over, oftentimes before hitting puberty. If you haven't survived it, you shouldn't dare to presume to know the conflict in conscience that some, especially black women, might have over whether or not ti support this movie. Don't you dare to presume that it is the media, and not the fact that there seems to be a lack of empathy, which calls into question the character of the filmmaker. A battle of conscious does not equate to a lack of intelligence, or an inability to make a decision that is not just based on media propoganda.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narcolepsy: Idiocy vs Actuality

I Will Not Apologize

A More Humanistic View: Jada Pinkett ith