Stop The You're Pretty For A Dark Skinned Girl

It would be a lie to say I don't have insecurities. We all have insecurities, if we are normal. I have never been insecure about who I am because of my darker complexion though. As a child, I never wished I was white. I never even wished to be light skinned. Growing up, I knew that lighter skin was the standard of beauty. All the women on the magazines, all the love interests in the movies and videos were light skinned or racially ambiguous. I knew that even though we weren't being portrayed in the media, unless you count prostitutes, drug lord's mistresses etc., they were out there. I just perceived it as ignorance on the part of the world not to acknowledge us. Yes, even as a child I was a deep thinker. I remember pondering existentialism as early as elementary school. Of course I didn't know it was called existentialism at that time. I digress though. My dark skin is part of what makes me who I am. My dark skin is part of what has helped to mold me. Have I been told I am pretty for a dark skinned girl? Yes. Have I been called darkie? Yes, but it has never made me feel ashamed. I wear my skin tone like a badge of confidence. I refuse to let the words of people detract from who and what I am and I look forward to the day when being a beautiful dark skinned woman isn't seen as some anomaly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narcolepsy: Idiocy vs Actuality

I Will Not Apologize

A More Humanistic View: Jada Pinkett ith