I Persisted

5 years ago I was struggling with my health and emotional well being.  I was fighting doctors to convince them something was wrong. My manager was fighting her boss to keep me from being fired. Every morning I woke up thinking there was no way I could make it through another day. Somehow,  some way,  I always managed to find it in me to make it through. I would tell myself: "Only two more days until you're off." "Only one month before the next holiday." "Only 85 days until you can take vacation." "Only two hours until lunch." I think you get the point.
For years,  no decades,  I thought maybe it is anemia, maybe it is thyroids, maybe I am low on sugar. I went through test after test. I was told I was just depressed. I began to feel like I would never get any answers, but still I persisted. I did my own research. I eventually concluded that I might have Narcolepsy, although all of my symptoms did not match the text book definition. I joined a Narcolepsy support group. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. It saved my sanity.  I read stories and posts that sounded eerily similar to mine. I asked questions. I found out what tests to ask for and I scheduled myself for a MSLT,  which my ENT signed off on. Note, I had previously been tested for sleep apnea,  and those tests were negative. Not one doctor had ever mentioned to me the possibility of Narcolepsy. I had the test,  and the rest is history.
With the relief of finally having answers came a new hope that treatments would get me back to a place in life where I could go back to work full-time. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a treatment plan to make that possible. Still,  I continue to persist. I have yet to give up trying.
Also, unfortunately, new symptoms have developed. Some have progressed,  and I find myself in the same situation, fighting to get answers. I have undergone numerous tests,  heard numerous theories, and gotten numerous "Your case is complicated" from various doctors. But,  as before, it may be the support group that has provided me with the answer I have been seeking. I posted questions in the Narcolepsy group, and someone who shares much of the same symptoms messaged me. I looked up the diagnosis she has and it hit me, just like it did when I researched Narcolepsy and I know exactly what tests to ask for at my next appointment and what to ask them to look for. I am not positive I am right,  but I feel fairly certain I am on the right track. 
Remember, whenever anyone else may doubt,  just persist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narcolepsy: Idiocy vs Actuality

I Will Not Apologize

A More Humanistic View: Jada Pinkett ith